Sunday, July 18, 2010

Ghosts!

I haven't posted in a while so I asked my 6 year old boy what he thought I should write about.

 "Ghosts!" was his immediate and emphatic answer.  I don't know how to explain to him that my blog is about digital forensics and related topics, so here I am writing about ghosts.   A ghost , as I understand it, is a physical manifestation of a person's soul after their body has died. I myself have never witnessed said manifestations, but I have had some pretty damn weird stuff happen to me in one of my homes and in the cave I worked at when I was a teenager. For the record, ghosts don't exist.

Neither do entry-level jobs for forensic analysts without a bachelor's degree.

I may have more luck looking for a forensics job if I ever decide to leave Montana. That's not a decision I ever want to have to make. Simply put, this place rocks!  So what's a guy do to try to make himself more marketable?  Certification and Education are a good place to start.

I have been studying for the CISSP exam for the last several weeks and plan to take the exam in September. CISSP also counts for  several credits towards a Bachelor's degree in Information Assurance and Security.

Bonus!

I Hated (yes, capital H) high school but I tried to go to community college right afterward, anyway.  I wound up feeling like it was just an even more miserable extension of the former so I withdrew (dropped out) midway through my second semester and joined the Navy.  I got lots of training in the Navy that I actually enjoyed, like math, science, electronics, computers, etc. After I got out, I took some Microsoft courses and took all the MCSE tests. I enjoyed those classes as well. Now I have 12 years of experience and a fistful of certificates from formal training as well as the GCFA cert and my MCSE.

It's time to go back and rectify the whole "dropped out" thing. I'm looking at a couple of the online colleges and gearing up to knock out a degree as fast as I can. I look at the curriculum and it causes me pain to have to take "Windows Server Networking" since I could likely teach the course.  But it has to be done. I'm no longer running into job postings that state "or equivalent experience".

Wish me luck.
I'll need it to stay awake for "Introduction to Unix"

P.S. I'm going to get back to some more technical posts in the near future.  I have a few system images to run through and post about.

No comments:

Post a Comment